Matt Shearer is a highly motivated Business Leader and Brand Management Executive with over 23 years of experience building Teams and driving Results on a Global scale. He is a proven Operator & General Manager with extensive experience establishing market start-ups and repositioning and restructuring distressed businesses, while scaling growth and driving operational efficiency.
Matt’s lifelong connection to sport helps to define his transformational leadership style. He is a culture-driven, non-hierarchal leader and architect of cross-functional and collaborative organizations. He leverages a strategic Go-To-Market process to feed prescriptive results.
A consummate Team player, Matt leads on the premise of driving Ownership and Accountability to foster a winning Culture and Mindset throughout the organization.
Extensive experience in:
- Brand Building/Positioning
- Leadership & Culture
- Team & Organizational Development
- Distribution & Sales Strategy
- Consumer/Customer Segmentation
- Change Management
- Establishment of Operating Rhythm
- Go-To-Market & Operational Strategy
- Matt spent over 20 years at Under Armour and played a major role in the early stages of Brand and Business Development, with significant focus elevating the Brand on an international level.
- In 2003, he opened and established the brand’s Canadian subsidiary, building the cross-functional Team and taking it from start-up to over $400m across all channels of distribution (Distributor, Wholesale, Retail, Digital, Licensee).
- In 2008, he pioneered the company’s addition of the Americas region, assuming leadership responsibility of subsidiary and distributor markets in Mexico, South America, Australia, and New Zealand, while driving YOY double-digit growth across all markets in the portfolio.
- In 2012, Matt relocated to Amsterdam to lead the EMEA region, where he was responsible for restructuring the Brand’s regional Team and Brand position in 25+ markets within Europe.
- He returned to Canada in 2015 to resume responsibility of the Canadian business, as well as take on leadership of Under Armour’s $500m Outdoor division.
- In 2018, Matt again expanded on his Canadian responsibilities, being elevated to oversee Under Armour’s North America Operations, a $3.5b region.
He received a degree in Psychology from Loyola University in Maryland and is a member of YPO Maple Leaf (Toronto).
Matt was a student-athlete, playing NCAA lacrosse in college, as well as playing professionally in both the National Lacrosse League and Major League Lacrosse. He played on the Canadian National Lacrosse Team for 10 years.
Matt has been happily married to his wife, Lizzy, since 2005 and is father to 2 wonderful kids, Sophie and Luke.
He enjoys music, staying active, traveling, skiing, golfing, entertaining and spending a lot of time outdoors.