Shawn Duffy is an experienced financial services and retirement planning industry executive with a proven record of accelerating business growth, transforming organizational culture, igniting higher performance, and delivering significant customer value. He is an acknowledged thought leader with a history of piloting innovative programs that produce sustainable growth, proactively mitigate risk, and increase efficiency.
Shawn has specific expertise in Strategic Planning & Execution, Business Development, Financial Planning, Talent Development, Coaching & Mentoring, Change Management, Project Management, Organizational Development, Market Penetration, and Technology Transformations.
As a CEO, Shawn was able to lead his organization with a breadth and depth of support that is not commonly seen in the industry. A strong believer in creating a supportive environment that facilitates opportunities for both personal growth and professional development, he strived every day to ensure his advisors had the tools they needed to be successful in a dynamic and competitive industry, and to drive accountability and performance across the organization.
- As President & CEO of VALIC Financial Advisors, Inc., Shawn led two intersecting business units, defined the strategic direction, advanced operational efficiencies, and managed overall broker-dealer operations and a field force of 1,400 financial advisors nationwide.
- During his time at VALIC Financial Advisors, Inc., Shawn significantly accelerated the company’s growth by increasing sales from $500 million to over $3 billion.
- Spearheading major technology advancements and product launches at the company, Shawn upgraded the brokerage platform to a state-of-the-art wealth management system and creating supervisory tools that modernized the process for financial advisors.
- Shawn brought traditional financial services into the digital age by transforming an enrollment-focused culture into a holistic financial services powerhouse that delivered 90,000 financial plans annually.
- He spent over a decade at Griffin Financial Services, serving in various roles including financial advisor and regional vice president. As head of distribution for Griffin Funds, a proprietary mutual fund family, Shawn oversaw distribution of the entire mutual fund family, growing from seed capital to over $1 billion in assets in three years.
Shawn spent many years as an engaged mentor and valued member of Boards of Directors, known for leading impactful change, and driving positive results. In addition to serving as the Chairman of the Board of Directors at VALIC Financial Advisors, Inc., he served on the Genesys Works Board of Directors, where he championed diversity initiatives and led the charge in securing employment-generating internships for over 100 individuals from underserved communities.
Shawn received a degree in Business Administration from San Diego State University. He is a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) and has obtained FINRA Series 7, Series 24, and Series 63 licenses.
Shawn is married with two grown daughters and enjoys spending time outdoors, biking, hiking, and skiing. He believes it is vital to make time for the things that matter, because in the end, they convey the true measure of our lives and the legacy we leave.
Connect with Shawn on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/in/shawnmduffy/.